01 May Playlist – Springtime Jazz
New York + Spring = Jazz. Obvs.
I listen to way more jazz than I think I even realize sometimes. It’s just sort of ever-present in my day. New York has a lot of jazz naturally, street musicians, and shop music and more than a few good jazz clubs. But I also have a few really great jazz stations that I listen to on Google Play and WBGO Newark is on whenever WNYC is not in my home.
Whenever I have a lot of work to do or a lot of stuff to read, or I just can’t stand the sound of terrible porn music anymore, there’s always some sadness and saxophone that get me focused again. For the Spring playlist, I came up with a handful of tracks that are perfect for walking around the city just as it’s starting to warm up for summer. All of these are excellent sunglasses and iced tea music.
- In Walked Bud Thelonious Monk 11:25
- They Say It's Spring Blossom Dearie 3:47
- Just A Gigolo Thelonious Monk 2:59
- Monk's Dream Thelonious Monk 3:09
- Spring Is Here Bill Evans Trio 5:10
- Whisper Not Lee Morgan, Wynton Kelly, et. al. 5:55
- Moon River Vince Guaraldi Trio 5:20
- Alone And I Herbie Hancock 6:31
- So What Miles Davis 9:24
- Basin Street Blues Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges 7:59
- Bye Bye Blackbird Miles Davis 7:58
- What Will I Tell My Heart Vanessa Williams 4:10
What Will I Tell My Heart
Just A Gigolo
Spring Is Here
Bill Evans Trio
They Say It’s Spring
Lee Morgan, Wynton Kelly, et. al.
Vince Guaraldi Trio
Alone And I
Bye Bye Blackbird
Basin Street Blues
Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges
In Walked Bud